Chief Development Officer
UsAgainstAlzheimer's and UsAgainstAlzheimer's Action
The number-one goal of UsAgainstAlzheimer's (UsA2), an innovative 501(c)3 organization, is to stop Alzheimer's disease (AD). Driven by the suffering of millions of families, UsA2 (and its partner 501(c)4 organization, UsA2 Action) is pressing for greater urgency from government, industry and the scientific community in the quest for an Alzheimer's cure - accomplishing this through effective leadership, collaborative advocacy and strategic investments. Our objectives are to:
- Increase public and private resources for Alzheimer's research
- Increase the speed, efficiency, and diversity of clinical trials for Alzheimer's disease
- Increase attention to brain health to delay onset of Alzheimer's and increase early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of Alzheimer's
- Include insights and preferences of individuals living with Alzheimer's and their care partners in drug development, regulatory and Medicare decisions
- Help advance national care goals and policies in support of individuals living with Alzheimer's and their care partners
- Mobilize Americans to demand an effective, accessible treatment
- Reduce AD's disparate impact on women & minorities
We believe that accomplishing these objectives will require bringing all of us to the fight. As a result, keys to our work are advocating, convening and collaborating - with those living with the disease, government, other advocacy groups, industry, researchers, and thought leaders.
Founded in 2010, UsA2 is making a transition from being an organization led primarily by the co-founders to one that is more sustainable and program-focused.
About the Role of Chief Development Officer (CDO)
UsA2 seeks a creative, agile leader to build a high-performing fundraising department, lead and manage all fundraising efforts, solicit major gifts, and grow overall revenue. The CDO will design, lead, and orchestrate the implementation of a fundraising strategy and structure that supports the growth and stability of the organization.
The CDO will build and lead a team of professionals focused primarily on major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations as well as some digital and event-based fundraising, along with a growing interest in government grants. In addition to strategy and management, the CDO will hold and develop a portfolio of accounts and prospects and support Board fundraising.
The role includes the following key responsibilities:
- Grow existing base of supporters by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding new major donors.
- Grow giving by improving a system for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of the organization's key current and future donors.
- Serve as key liaison with and support to the UsA2 and UsA2 Action Boards of Directors on development and donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Build, lead, and manage a small team of professional fundraisers and small number of vendors.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio fo high-value donors.
- Direct digital/online fundraising efforts of a vendor, including strategy and execution of fundraising emails and other digital giving activities.
- Work with the UsA2 program team to leverage the organization's innovative programs, initiatives, publications, and convenings for development.
- Lead corporate development team in the expansion of our corporate partnerships, deepening and broadening our base of support.
- Create, launch, and expand a development program focused on foundations and government grants.
- Lead our events team to plan, execute and cultivate support for events created to support our development activities.
- Manage development operations, including the development of best-practice processes for research, cultivation, stewardship, and database management.
The Ideal Candidate
UsA2 seeks a professional with the following qualifications:
- Fundraising and leadership experience, including documented success setting a strategic course, executing against that path, and managing a wide array of development functions;
- Experience building, leading, and managing a fundraising team (corporate, events, individual giving, digital fundraising, etc.);
- Experience in successful solicitation of individual major donors and corporate and/or foundations;
- Knowledge of potential corporate, individual, and/or family foundation prospects in the health space generally; (Knowledge of the Alzheimer's world is preferable but not required);
- Knowledge of foundations with a focus on health programming, including access and health equity;
- Experience in overseeing digital fundraising activities;
- Track record of reaching ambitious fundraising goals;
- Demonstrated ability to be entrepreneurial and adaptive;
- Proven success identifying, researching, and choreographing major gifts prospects from new and current sources - individual, foundation, and corporate - including making and closing asks;
- Collaborative work style;
- Exemplary written and verbal skills;
- High degree of responsiveness to donors, colleagues, and partners;
- Ability to consistently deliver on day-to-day needs; and
- Ability to travel for prospect meetings and events as needed.
Please submit: (1) your resume; and (2) a cover letter describing your interest in UsA2's mission and your experience relating to this position. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commensurate with experience.
UsAgainstAlzheimer's is an equal opportunity employer. UsAgainstAlzheimer's provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.