Here are 10 steps that faith leaders and communities can take to care for those with Alzheimer's and their families.
- Inform your congregation by speaking about Alzheimer’s, hosting educational events and sharing resources.
- Host a support group for caregivers and family members using the Leader's Guide for Seasons of Caring.
- Visit congregation members affected by Alzheimer’s at home and in care facilities.
- Develop an adult daycare program.
- Invite those with early-stage Alzheimer’s to join activities or volunteer for tasks which bring them satisfaction.
- Engage your youth as volunteers in your Alzheimer’s-related programs.
- Encourage members to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
- Build a relationship with the local research hospital. Invite them to share the research they are doing and how you can join.
- Encourage participation in registries and clinical studies.
- Join the Faith United Against Alzheimer's Coalition and work to end Alzheimer’s.